Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mama Who Bore Me

Is the opening number of the Spring Awakening soundtrack. Which is fitting, because wee just had our very first Spring Awakening rehearsal.

It was magnificent.

Due to the fact that one of the other shows at Brandeis this semester is in tech and about half my cast is in that show, the rehearsal was small with just Wendla, Thea, Martha, and Mrs. Bergman (those are characters; portrayed by the actors Corrie, Joanna, Devan, and Kate) and my stage manager, Jessie.

We opened with me discussing how rehearsals were going to run, and then we did a few read-throughs of the scenes to be worked on, and then we began blocking. It's so fun to work with actors who are serious about their parts and about the script. I mean, I've loved this script since the first time I opened it. It's nice to remember that this isn't a piece I have to teach people how to love. It's an incredible show that gives actors a lot to work with in the way of complex emotions and intricate dialogue. It's intense. Which is absolutely the best kind of theatre. Spring Awakening will not leave everyone smiling. It will leave them reeling.

So we blocked three scenes and ran them a few times over. But my favorite part of rehearsal came after. I had everyone gather in a circle and we talked about the characters. That is always my favorite part of getting into a show; learning the nuances of the character I'm playing. Living in their skin, learning their past, discovering why they say the things they say. As a director, I'm not as intimate with all of the characters as the actors will be.

I was extremely impressed with how much character work the cast had already done. Even for just working with the material for a few hours, we had some very in-depth discussion of everyone. Wendla especially, and her relationship with her mother. Which plays a huge part in the story.

All in all, a great time. Hopefully the first of many :)

No comments:

Post a Comment