Tuesday, January 25, 2011

We begin...

Yeah, I'm using an obscure Rent reference to being my Spring Awakening saga...just go with it. It's fine. Don't worry.

Yes folks! Spring Awakening has begun its first foray into existence. Today and yesterday we endured Common Auditions; the painfully long process wherein all of the directors of all the straight (non-musical) plays sit in a row and just have everyone audition for all of them instead of all at separate times. 6:30-11 two nights in a row.

Night one: Fun! Ordered Thai takeout, giggled a little over silly auditions (not in a making-fun kind of way, in a laughing WITH the person kind of way. Really.). Not enough boys. One really good male that everyone is going to fight over. Naturally, he specifically wishes to only be cast in one show. Offers of sexual favors? Potentially...

Night two: Sillier. We laughed waaay more easily due to being comfortable with each other and due to..well...exhaustion and less seriousness over what we were doing. Also watched a bit of the State of the Union. Attempted to start slow claps from over the internet. Were moderately successful. Still not enough guys.

End of tonight: Stare at audition forms and decide who to call back for what parts. Argue over finally created call-back list with other directors. Attempt to configure time slots that all coexist so that actors don't have to be in 50 places at once.

Post call back sheets.

Pray it doesn't snow.

Next step for Spring Awakening? We have callbacks scheduled for 5-11 tomorrow. I will have my work cut out for me in eliminating females. There were SO many talented girls who auditioned, so I can be really picky about which ones I want. I'm trying to give preference to people with less Brandeis theatre experience because...well...they're the ones I want to work with. So I'm sticking with freshman and mid-years mostly. Oh, and people who seemed really specifically enthusiastic about Spring Awakening as opposed to the other shows being cast. This piece will rely on the passion my actors can give it. If I ask someone who isn't passionate about the show to do the awkward and demanding things required by some of the parts, then they will be less willing to comply.

Talking about the script, I have been rereading it often of late, and just re-realizing how absolutely in love with it I am. Wedekind wrote a piece that was revolutionary for its time, and it is still exceptionally strong so many years later. I can't wait to be the next one to marvel in its brilliance, and hopefully to do it justice.

Stay tuned! More updates to come (if my callbacks don't get snowed out...).

No comments:

Post a Comment