Sorry to do two so similarly themed posts so close together, but recent events demand it.
As I said at the end of my last post, there are several new Facebook events springing up to support the gay community and try to show solidarity with victims of homophobic bullying. I joined one such group, actually an event. Here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112861798774522
(Just open a new internet window and copy and paste that link into the address bar.)
Anyway, on the page for the group people are allowed to comment. Because it is an open event, anyone can join and say whatever they want. Freedom of speech.
I was scrolling down the page, reading all of the posts. Most were very kind and loving and supporting. A few, unfortunately, were not. There were several extremely homophobic posts. That's not what really bothered me though.
In reaction to these posts people who claim to be supportive of the gay rights cause became hostile. Many of the responses were threatening and crude. I recommend looking at the site, just for curiosity's sake. I really don't want to repeat some of the nasty stuff. But suffice it to say, the supporters were willing to get just as down and dirty as the ones they are supposedly fighting.
So, I decided to put my two cents in. I left this comment on the page:
" I would just like to take a second to remind the people posting on this wall that the purpose of this group is love. I ally myself with the cause of homosexual rights because members of my family and many of my friends are gay. That does not mean that I hate anyone who is homophobic. It just means that I, along with anyone else who claims to support the cause, have a responsibility to teach the message of love. Supporting gay rights does not equal hating homophobia. Hating those who hate makes us just as bad. Let's share the love, okay? In the words of the eternally wise John Lennon, "All you need is love." "
To which I received the charming comment: "all you need is a dick up your ass"
Really? REALLY?!
I said so many things, yet what you choose to target is JOHN LENNON'S LYRIC?! That sir, is just..GRRRRRRR. Contradict ME all you'd like. But DON'T twist Lennon. THAT SIR is just UNACCEPTABLE.
My point (aside form being mortally sorry for causing John Lennon to roll in his grave) is that those who preach love should practice it.
When I was at the Prop 8 protest a year or so ago, I had a really memorable experience. While we were marching with our rainbow signs, we came across an older couple standing across the street from us. The man grabbed his wife's hand and held it up. "This is marriage!", he yelled. His intention was clearly one of hate. So, laughing, my friends and I all draped our arms around each other and shouted back, "This is love!"
Being a liberal (to me at least) means being open to the other side. Loving your crooked neighbor with all your crooked heart. It's a mean, cruel, hateful world. I don't think that those who are trying to spread a message of love should do so by propagating hate.
In closing, please enjoy a fantastic song by some wonderful men.
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy.
There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
No one you can save that can't be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you
in time - It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
All you need is love (all together now)
All you need is love (everybody)
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment