Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Year

Or very nearly one.

Brendan my dear, nearly and entire year has passed since I got the phone call. That one horrible phone call. Lizz told me you had...I don't even know what phrase to use. "Committed suicide" sounds too...technical, too detached. But "killed yourself" sounds juvenile. I don't know what to call it. I don't want to call it anything.

But she called me, and I slid down the wall in my dorm hallway. Cell service died, because that's what concrete does to cell service. I just sat there on the floor, staring at my knees, unable to believe it. I called Lizz back and we talked for another minute, but neither of us knew what to say.

I walked back into the lounge on my hall(where I had previously been studying) and sat down like nothing had happened. I just stared at my computer, at all the messages scrolling down Facebook. Messages that I now understood. Messages that made me..numb inside. A few of my friends came in and I finally found my words. "One of my high school friends...committed suicide...this morning."

I remember that it was the most beautiful sunny day. Cliched though it is, I sat in my favorite seat by the window and looked out and wondered how the world could not be crying for the loss of you, who were so young and so loved.

So loved, Brendan. It's been nearly one whole year and people still write on your Facebook wall. All the time.

I'm so sorry Brendan. I'm sorry we hadn't talked in a long time. I'm sorry you didn't know how much you meant to me. I'm sorry. I am so very sorry. You touched so many of our lives. Maybe if we had let you know it, you would still be with us.

The rest of that day I was in a daze. I didn't know what to do. My roommates left me alone. I turned off the lights and laid down on my top bunk and stared at the ceiling and thought about you and remembered you and did all the things I thought you were supposed to do when someone dies.

I felt so cut off from everyone. All of our friends at home could grieve together, and there I was, stuck in Boston.

I was so terrified I was going to miss your funeral. I tried my absolute hardest to get my flight rescheduled, but I couldn't do it. I ended up rushing directly from the airport to the church, getting in late. But it didn't matter. As soon as I got there I was crying. Crying so hard I could barely see how packed the church was, how tear-streaked everyone else looked.

I think I'll always remember your funeral. And the day I found out you had died. Some things just don't go away.

You are in my thoughts a lot Brendan. Even now, nearly one year past, I still think of you nearly every day. You are so near to my heart boy. And I bet you didn't even know it.

I hope you found your peace. And I hope you can see how much we all miss you down here. Love you forever kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment