Sunday, September 6, 2009

Miss Me?

Well that's really too bad now isn't it? :P (that's a smiley face with its tongue sticking out)

AAAAnyway, Brandeis is extra super mad wicked fantastic. Fall is descending on the campus. The air is cool, but the sun is warm. It's the kind of weather that makes you think the trees should be on fire with all the colors of autumn..but they are still green. I guess Massachusetts trees are made of stronger stuff than their WV counterparts. This little chill does not change their colors just yet.

I have been busy busy busy which is why I have been epically failing at posting regularly on this thing. My life for the past week or so has been taken up with homework, friends, set-building (I'll elaborate in a sec), and adventuring into Boston. Harvard Square to be exact. Yes, I went inside the Harvard gates and pretended I was a student there. Was tempted to get a t-shirt, but came to my senses. I LOVE BRANDEIS! haha, my loyalty remains strong. Damn Harvard elitists. :P

So set building. Brandeis does this wicked cool thing called the 24 Hour Musical. It's basically what it sounds like. Within 24 hours, a musical is cast, choreographed, learned, teched, and performed. It's crazy itnense and apparently the end result is typically HILARIOUS because no one knows what the F they are doing. Seeing as I do nto sing, I didn't audition. However my friend Emily was going to go paint sets so I decided to go with her. Super fun :) I went to bed around 2 covered in paint and sawdust (and whatever was in the paint filter...shudder...smelled like low tide. I didn't ask. Freshman got all the shit jobs.) the coolest part was that the theatre housing the show has a GRID! For all you non-tech theatre people, this means that there is space above the stage to hang set pieces for the purpose of flying them in and out during a performance. I got to go up on the grid and help tie things and untie things and let's be realistic I had no idea what I was doing but it was SO cool! So I am going to go see the show tonight. should be a great time.

(Side note, the Jake thing fizzled out. No worries. I wasn't that into it anyway.)

Getting slightly corny...I absolutely love Brandeis. Seriously, never have I felt such a deeply personal and all-encompassing connection to a place. The people, the academics, the location...everything. I don't even know how to describe it. Everyhting is perfect. Almost nothing makes me unhappy..I said almost because I am sure some smart-ass friend of mine will try to prove that wrong. But don't try. Because this is one of the most wonderful things that has ever happened to me. I will try to describe it...jsut...little things that are amazing.

Everyone holds the door for each other. Like, even if I am like 20 feet away from the building, the complete stranger in front of me will remain at the door until I am close enough to grab it. Everyone does this. Myself included of course.

People are so approachable. I was completely and totally lost on my way to a class the other day, and without even hesitating I asked the upperclassman in front of me how to get where I needed to go. No one has to be afraid of beign ridiculed for being a freshman, or for being different or for...well...anything.

My War and Possibilities of Peace class is one of those things almsot unique to Brandeis. The professor told us that almost all universities offer courses in war. Less than 4% offer courses in peace. Of course Brandeis would. How could they not? They are my dream school.

I guess my point is simply that Brandeis is absolutely the most perfect place in the world for me right now. And I am so thankful I was able to come.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I know this was not the overall gist of your post, but it relates a little...I always despised going up in the grid. I can't tie knots, and I have the upper body strength of an 11 year old child. So back in school I always avoided that place.

    ReplyDelete